Cannabis budder is a cannabis concentrate made by mixing a solvent like propylene glycol or ethanol with hash oil and letting the mixture sit for a period of time. When the mixture has sat long enough a dark black layer will separate from the clear hash oil. This dark layer is cannabis budder and it has very high levels of THC.
Cannabis budder is great for vaporizing or for making edibles. A small piece of budder can provide a full dose of THC. When using cannabis budder in an edible make sure to use a small amount.
Why is it called 'budder'?
We don't really know, but we do have some suspicions. Since cannabis budder is very similar in appearance to butter that makes sense. Another possibility is that since THC is stored in fat cells when eating cannabis budder you get a big dose of THC entering your bloodstream quickly via digestion rather than via inhalation. This can lead to quick effect and the feeling that one has ingested butter.
How to make cannabis budder?
The best solvent to use when making cannabis budder is propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is used in food products and can be purchased at many stores including Wal-mart in the pharmacy section. Do not use any other solvents as they are potentially dangerous, may be illegal and will ruin your hash oil making it unusable.
- The easiest way to make cannabis budder is to add an ounce of hash oil to an eight ounce bottle of propylene glycol and shake vigorously for two minutes.
- Let this mixture sit for 24 hours and then shake vigorously again for two minutes.
- After another 24 hours look at the mixture to see if the cannabis budder has formed yet. If not keep shaking every 24 hours until it forms.
- You may want to place a paper towel on the bottom of the bottle so that it catches any liquid that separates out during shaking.
- Once all the layers have formed decant the clear liquid into another container leaving the dark layer of cannabis budder at the bottom of the original container.
- Using a sharp object like a knife remove as much of the budder as possible from the bottom of the bottle and measure it carefully.
- The rest of the process is exactly like making regular hash oil except heat must be applied slowly instead of all at once on a low setting like one point five grams at a time with three minute intervals between each gram until everything has been processed.
- After everything is processed let everything cool off first and then mix your concentrate into your edible like butter into cookies or brownies to evenly distribute THC throughout the edible.